Arabic Summer Program
The Columbia Arabic Summer Program (CASP) offers intensive instruction in the Arabic language through texts, multimedia materials, and activities designed to situate the language in the context of the cultures in which it is spoken. The program uses the Al-Kitaab series published by Georgetown University Press.
The language of instruction is Modern Standard Arabic (MSA), but students also have the opportunity to take a course in Spoken Arabic offered in the afternoon if they wish.
Experienced instructors use a proficiency-based approach emphasizing all five skills: listening, speaking, reading, writing, and culture. Arabic is the main language of instruction.
Students are encouraged to take courses in both sessions but may take one session with permission from the director.
The program also includes:
- Daily office hours held by the instructors to advise students
- Free daily tutoring provided by an experienced teaching assistant
- Integrated weekly virtual events to acquaint students with the culture
First, Second, and Third Year Arabic I are offered in Session G
First, Second, and Third Year Arabic II are offered in Session J
May 20–June 17, 2024
April 10, 2024
June 17–July 12, 2024
May 22, 2024
To apply, follow the Summer Sessions application instructions for your admissions category:
Applicants should select “Arabic Summer Program” under “Program of Study” on the application and then complete a questionnaire within the application to indicate the level they plan to take.
- Students applying for courses other than First Year Arabic I must take a placement exam.
- Students who have taken Elementary or Intermediate Arabic at Columbia University are not required to take the placement exam.
Please check back frequently for updates as Summer 2024 courses are added on a rolling basis. Registration opens on February 27.